Friday, April 1, 2022

Steel gravel bike for Emeryville, Calif.

This one was already in process before I put the lid on full builds. I do have a few more that I will really make every effort to finish but after those I'll not be able to offer full builds, just frames- maybe forks. 
This one is going to an old friend with whom I used to work at the Bicycle Center here in Santa Cruz in 1978. This guy was around when I built my first frame and he even got the bug to build a frame but never was able to complete it. Nobody had a shop or the right tools- I borrowed stuff and got some assistance from another employee of the shop who had built some frames, otherwise I don't think I could have completed mine either.
The parts on this bike come from too many sources to mention but everything works in harmony- WTB carbon rims, Industry 9 hubs, mostly Shimano GRX with a Praxis Carbon Zayante crankset. The bike has a Whiskey fork and handlebar. Not all the parts are brand new as I used what I could get. This build was so much work it really wore me down like no other build in recent memory. I'll spare you all the details but I have learned my lesson- until the supply chain gets somewhat more like normal I'll have to leave the full builds to the shops. I like to offer stuff like builds including wheels like the ones I built here but for the remainder of 2022 I won't be able to make it happen. I'm really lucky that I was able to finish this one, even with the totally random parts pick. 
 

No comments: