Monday, March 8, 2021

Goodbye to my track bike

When there's an upcoming shop move , the occasion for a bit of purging is likely-especially if you have been at this work as long as I have. There are over 40 bikes in my shop and the prospect of moving all of them and finding places in the new shop to store them is making me lose my sentimentality to a large degree. While it was not easy for me to let go of this particular bike, I can say that it is going to a good home. The new owner has plans to race the track in nearby San Jose-something that I never did. 
When I built this bike it was with the intention of making regular trips to the velodrome - the Los Gatos junior development team that set me up with all that I needed to build this bike were super generous and very encouraging to me. I wound up only making one trip to the track . I had a great time riding and really feel that I could probably be better racing there instead of cyclocross-a sport that in spite of my enthusiasm , little success has been realized with only a couple wins in 20-odd seasons. 
I guess I'll never know what I could have or could not have done as a track racer but hey-you can't do it all. I have spread myself very thin for decades now and letting go of this track bike will hopefully start a thinning of an overly large collection of bikes. Stay tuned- there will be others .......
 

No comments: