Wednesday, December 29, 2010

Blast from the past


I'm not sure how long it has been since I have built a fillet brazed frame....years for sure. This week I get to re-live the 1984-1991 part of my career-laying down fillets of bronze. Here's some head tube collars I modified and welded up.....they look like something you would find on an Ibis from the early '90's. I'm using a lot of these this winter, partly for aesthetics, partly for keeping the headtube from ovalizing.
This is probably the first fillet I have laid down in about 5-6 years. I do remember how to do it but I'm glad I have some nice new files to really get the finished product looking smooth and uniform. I'll be putting up pictures of the finished product next week.....it would be too much for me to think that i would have it done this week. Fillet frames are about twice as labor intensive as welded frames. It's cold in my shop and the combination of the torch and the manual labor will help keep me from freezing !

1 comment:

Ric said...

It's always surprised me that the HT collar went away, especially with the thin walls on todays tubing. Plus--it just looks classy.

That fillet in the pic is un-filed? You haven't lost your touch, Paul. Ask the buyer if he would like it un-finished. I would.