Saturday, December 18, 2021

Rim brake Di II steel road frame

This nearly all Columbus Spirit tubed frame is unique in that it is made for a direct mount caliper brake. I have never done one of theses but the customer provided the fork for me to use as a guide for putting on the brake bosses. I had to modify a pair of cantilever bosses on my lathe and then to a re-machining to my Anvil brake boss jig so that it would fit under the bridge on the seat stays. I guess I could have installed the bosses before the bridge but being the first time at this there was a bit of a learning curve. It took some extra time but now I know the spec and presumably can do it again. With the move toward disc brakes that seems unlikely but in this business you never know.
In order to keep the weight down and also keep the stack low I used a straight wall 44 mm ID head tube, also a Columbus tube. There's no down tube Di II port as the customer has his own cool way to route the wire from the handlebar. That's all I will say about that- it's his secret to tell if he wants.
Theses steel dropouts also have a replaceable der. hanger- not something one needs much on a steel bike but still a good way to make a frame for the ages.This frame is all of 3 lb. 6 oz.
 

No comments: