Friday, March 27, 2009

Sucka to the side I know you hate my ninety-eight...

O.k. , maybe you suckas to the side don't hate my ninety-eight but it rides and looks hatefully good. I guess it wouldn't be the ride of choice to get you from South Central to Compton as it only has one speed , but it does have something close to white-walls and most definitely will not look like any otha sucka's ride out there.


This is the first time I have ever built a frame for the Paul's braze-on Racer brakes. Paul Price contends that these are the best brakes he has ever produced.....I'll second that. They are absolutely buttery smooth but savagely powerful when you need it. They are probably the closest thing to hydraulic discs in a caliper brake. Even with my insane-in-the-membrane cable routing the brakes still feel good to the touch.



I had to build a stem.....the first of the year. The extention is made from the same tubing as the frame, NOS Tange ultimate extrastrong-a rifled relic from the early '90's that was some of the trickest and priciest tubing available. My good buddy Steve Garro of Coconino cycles was willing to part with some awhile ago. And if you are wondering....yes, that is internal cable routing for the rear brake and it exits out of the wishbone. Good luck finding any other framebuilder daft enough to do that one.........


9 comments:

Thom Kneeland said...

Is this the fabled "Deutsche Baggin"?

Winter Bicycles said...

Excellent under-stem cable routing.

swiggco world said...

Dang, I thought I had buried that name.....anyway, I consider this bike an inspiration from Sacha White and what started out as some sort of joke turned into a seriously challenging project and a ( dare I say it..) bitchen looking and riding bike. The stem cable routing is late '80's from the days when I was only building fillet brazed stuff, lots of forks and stems. I probably haven't built a stem like this for 4-5 years. The real innovation is the rear brake cable exit-I don't think this has ever been done and as insignificant as it is in the grand scheme of things, I must say that is really difficult to find something functional that hase'nt already been done.

Unknown said...

Real cool frame, like the routing both front and rear....How is the new King InSet working out?

swiggco world said...

The king inset seems to be typical King....set it and forget it. I forgot to mention that this is the first one of these I have ever built with. As you might notice the headtube is mondo big. I'm hoping to source 7005 next time. The steel version is an anchor !

steve garro said...

super cool bike, Paul! is it yours? glad to see that tubing go to the best use!! Steve.

Jason Pearlman said...

Damn! I'm in complete singlespeed 'cross bike lust right now, and if I hadn't been recently laid-off from my job, I'd be the proud owner of one. Looks like I'm just gonna have to hate your bike while secretly wishing I had one of my own.

swiggco world said...

Although I built this frame my size, she is indeed for sale. I haven't figured out a price but I will soon and I'll be pimping this ride at the San Diego custom bike show this weekend. One thing for sure, if I made one, I can surely make another. Check out my brand new blog 'overopinionetedframebuilder' . I'll be spreading the gospel according to me , not necesarrily the most objective view but hopefully entertaining.

bikenerd said...

Ich bin eine Douchebaaggener . . . thanks Paul!