Friday, June 16, 2023

Steel road frame and fork for Woodside, Calif.

There's quite a long story with this bike. The customer had a Peugeot PA-10 that he bought new 50 years ago and always liked how it rode. He wanted to recapture the essence of the old bike but update the components. This is the result of his vision and a pretty lengthy quest on his parts to find this eclectic group of bicycle components.
First of all, the bike is nearly all Dura Ace Di II but with a twist- mechanical caliper brakes. Ever heard of this ? Me neither .......my first experience with it. Unlike the hydraulic Di II levers, these are not wireless. They are incredibly light, though- light enough to make the bike feel more nimble than a disc brake version of the same group.
The other unusual request was to literally use the old frame and fork as a template to build this new frame and fork- the small radius bend of the fork blade is as close as I could get to the original Peugeot fork. I did ride the Peugeot before I built this frame and I liked it a lot. It was very easy to ride with no hands at a slow speed. The design is lower trail than most modern frames. Other components of note- Phil Wood headset and front hub. The wheels were well built- some of the straightest I have ever seen. Bars are titanium and the seat post is a Thomson titanium......did not know that Thomson made a ti post....

There's also a Selle Anatomica saddle and MKS flat pedals- no cleats for this rider. He does do some serious rides so the pedals are not because he's just riding around the block- the pedals are what he uses and they work well for him. I just rode the bike today for the first time and yes, it does mirror the old Peugeot pretty well. It does not feel exactly like the old bike but it does not feel like a modern road bike. It feels like a classic late '60's early '70's road bike and is something I don't think is being built much any more so it was a real interesting project for me. I hope the customer is satisfied with what I built. This is not a feather weight bike at 22 lb. 8 oz. but it is very much the weight of a top-level racing bike from 50 years ago. 
 

No comments: