Friday, December 16, 2022

SSCXWC prototype frame in steel

Yes- the shop may be closed this month but that does not mean that I won't be doing some work . This is a project that I wanted to do as next November the SSCXWC will be coming to Santa Cruz and I wanted to make a commemorative frame for it. The idea is that the winners of the event will each get one of these. I'll get them painted a special gold and will try to cook up some nice graphic touches and maybe a custom headbadge from Jen Green. I'll have to try to design one soon as this frame will be ready for it in a matter of a couple weeks. I'll try to have a fully built bike in the next two months. I'll do a special blog post then.
Notice that this one does not rely on an EBB for chain tension adjustments but uses a pair of the Paragon "rocker" dropouts. I could have gone with the sliding dropouts but they are heavier, more expensive and don't have quite as sleek a look. The 29er single speed I built for the Chris King guest house show had the same dropouts.
Nothing all that special about this frame. I though that I wanted to do something a little more ornate but eventually went with the functional look of my normal tig welded steel CX frame. This one is special because it is tied to a specific event that changes location every year. It is a major coup for the locals to have it land in Santa Cruz.
 

No comments: