Friday, June 24, 2022

1999-2000 time capsule MTB for sale.

A guy came to my door yesterday with this. It is an all XTR 9-speed equipped MTB that I built for a rider I was sponsoring in the '90's. The person who has it now is the third owner and he's moving so he needs to downsize. He is asking $ 1,000 for this which I think is pretty fair in light of the condition ( everything works ) and the fact that all the components are top of the line. 
The only tired thing on the bike is the shock fork- it probably needs adjustment or maybe an overhaul.  The steerer is 1-1/8" so getting a replacement should be easy but I'm pretty sure that someone who knows these forks could get it adjusted properly. The seat tube is 16-1/2 ", top tube 22-3/4" so it is a good fit for a 5'9" rider. If you want to talk to the owner his name is Rob and his number is (408) 376-1515. I'm not really involved in the sale other than getting the word out. 
It is not often that I see one of my bikes this old that is in this condition. If you are looking for a pre-disc steel MTB that isn't trashed and is not too archaic, here it is. The rear tire is a tiny bit too large so it rubs on the upper seatstay a bit so it would be good to put a 2.1 or a 2.0 in its place. The shifter is the XTR "rapid rise". When I test rode the bike I didn't realize this and assumed that there was a problem with it. After a minute I realized what it was and tried riding it again- it worked perfectly. I don't think I had ridden a bike with the 'rapid rise' setup in over 20 years........
 

No comments: