Monday, March 18, 2019

NAHBS 2019

 This could be my last bike show so if you didn't make it, well......sorry ! You won't see a bunch of photos of pretty bikes here- you can see plenty of those on the internet. What you'll see here are the reasons I go to these shows- getting to hang with the people I don't get to see often.
 I did post this bike though because it is Anna Schwinn's new track bike painted to match one of her outfits......it really does match well.
 also, this Dear Susan bike from the UK has much symbolism in its construction. One or two looks won't begin to tell you what this bike-or its builder- are all about. I was lucky enough to meet the man in person.
 This Coast bike was one of my favorites- really understated and tasteful. Probably rides nicely, too - but that is something you'll never find out at this show as there's no riding allowed. Yeah......go figure.
 A dinner with Bruce and Joe- twins separated at birth. Meetings like this have been getting less frequent and that makes me sad.
 The seldom seen hardest working man in show business- Eric Richter. Got to see him for a split second- glad enough for that.
 The SOPWAMTOS awards- arrived at the club with only a few minutes before the awards were handed out. This was a priceless moment in time- glad I was there.
 Oh, and yes...my two entries into the awards at the show did get ribbons. I don't know where I was in the top 3 but my gravel tandem and Andrew Juiliano's world cup CX bike both made it. I got to stand on the stage and look out at a bunch of handmade bike fans- I really wanted to tell them that riding the bikes would tell them 1,000,000 times more than looking at the bikes but hey- what the heck do I know ?
Next year the show moves to Dallas, TX. I have a bunch of friends and customers there but I probably will not make the trip. This show, great as it was drained my wallet and my energy in such a big way that the thought of doing another one makes me shudder. Maybe in a few more years......
That said, this show seemed pretty good- lots of people turned out. Hope that you didn't miss it.

No comments: