Friday, January 4, 2013

Columbus Max frame

 Yes, that's right....Max is back. I used to use this set and the "mini-max" tubing that Columbus offered in the early '90's. I only built a handful of frames out of this tubing but everyone who got one said that the ride quality was excellent. I never was convinced enough to try it myself....maybe I was a bit too broke at the time.
 The chainstays are massive, about 36 mm tall ! They are almost as tall as the diameter of the BB shell. The seaststays are not max but they are Columbus. I think they will offer a nicer ride than the Max stays that are pretty hefty and can't be bent in the way that these are. It is difficult to see in the photo but the main tubes are ovalized and will make for a pretty stiff front end, nice for out of the saddle climbing and sprinting. This is another big tire road bike that will fit fenders. I still have to build the fork-it will have to wait until I get back from CX nationals.

No comments: