Monday, February 14, 2011

Aluminum 29er with 2x10 drivetrain


This bike is a first for me in two ways. # 1, I have never set up an MTB with Sram 2x10 and I have never built wheels with Stan's rims. All of the components work well and result in a cross country bike that weighs 23 lb. 13 oz. without pedals.....not bad for a 29er with a Fox Terra-logic fork with the big legs. The cassette is a massive 12-36 range and not having tree rings up front is no disadvantage with this setup.
The only thing that might be considered a disadvantage is the Sram 2x10 front der. is almost hitting the tire ! It does miss and it shifts fine. A Shimano unit would not take up as much room but the 2x10 Sram setup is what was requested. The crankset is a Truvative mated to an Enduro ceramic BB, a very free spinning setup..
The bike is pretty tight and should be really nice on the climbs. The front end is So-Cal. geometry, not really steep and made to carve. It feels pretty nice to me, not having my own bike set up this way. Maybe the next bike will be......
The fork was given a custom 80 MM travel setup from the factory. The forks come stock at 100 mm but the customer wanted 80 , the same that I have on my bike , only in a 26" wheel format.
All in all, I think this looks like a balanced aggressive ride. I wish I could take it up to the forest and give it a good test but it is going in a box and will be in the customers hands a.s.a.p.

1 comment:

Mike said...

That is a clean bike and a very thoughtful build. Not overdone at all.