Saturday, April 27, 2024

One-off lugged frame for a bay area rider

This customer provided nearly all the materials for this one and they all came from Richard Sachs. The tube set is the mega-oversize Pego-Ritchie Columbus set. I have not worked with this kit before but tube fit was good. As usual with lugs, the angles of the frame and some of the specs were dictated by the lug castings so a few compromises had to be made to the design. There's only so far you can tweak a lug before things get ugly.
After the frame was built I was a bit worried about overlap but once the bike was all built it turned out that the front center was totally fine. The BB height is a tad higher than I usually shoot for but overall, the bike rides nicely. The only departure from the kit was the Tange wishbone seat stay - this was something the customer asked for- a nod to Strawberry cycles Andy Newlands work. I think it is a great way to build a bike that has the elements of three notable builders , but built by a fourth -me- who is just a guy in a shed .
I did a few practice lugged experiments before building this one and I'm glad I did. I did not realize how rusty I was with lugged construction. Glad I got all the cobwebs out before building this one. It is something I can be pretty happy with. Paint was deftly done by Joe's bicycle painting in Watsonville, Calif. The fork is an Enve that has been painted to match and the customer himself did the build. He's a good mechanic-even brought all his own tools. 

 

No comments: