Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Track frame and fork for a ten year old girl


This is right after lunch-the front triangle is getting checked for squareness. If it looks like there is a little clutter near the granite slab , you are just seeing the tip of the garbage iceberg. A woman emailed me wishing to set up a time to visit my "studio". I assured her that it was not a studio but was more correctly referred to as a "s*** hole". It just so happens that really fast bikes come out of this space, whatever I might call it and this pee-wee racer is no exception.
I donated the materials for this project as I was informed that the family was not rolling in cash but had an extremely motivated ten year old daughter who rode the velodrome in Encino, California. This will be the fourth frame I have built for a child less than twelve years old. I built the fork with a crown that had been sitting in a box for over ten years.
The rear dropouts were some samples I got from Tange. I think I have had them for around four years.
The chainstays were Reynolds 725 that I had cut too short for an adult bike. In the end, I used about 90% old stock for this frame and it is all very high quality with only the top tube being 4130 straight guage aircraft tubing. This frame may be small ( it was built for 24" wheels and a 4'4 1/2" rider ) but it is as serious a steel track frame as I build. I'm sure it will get some hard racing on the bank track in a couple of weeks.

7 comments:

limom said...

That's cool.
The frame and what you did.

swiggco world said...

Thanks.....it was a big day's work .

Roosterweight Cimmarien said...

That's so rad. what an excellent idea for a kids bike.

steve garro said...

killer, Paul! I am stoked to see your pics as I'm glad that I am not the only guy who soes not work in a "studio"

Mike said...

Bless your heart Paul! Your not the crumugeon you make youself out to be. Studio? Do you have an espresso machine?

dingo said...

I just left the Encino Velodrome and Eve was bouncing around all over the place in anticipation of the new frame. Thanks again Paul

Unknown said...

Very cool! I would love to see it painted... I have a 9-year-old daughter who I hope will be equally motivated to ride/race road bikes...