Monday, May 31, 2010

Old number one

If this bike looks old to you, it is. I built this frame in 1978 and it was my first. I rode it for a few years but it never really rode right so about 16 years ago I removed the rear triangle to go about fixing it. From that point until yesterday it hung from a hook , neglected but not forgotten. I spent a few hours yesterday and a few today and now it rides reasonably well. I'm riding it around without paint just to be sure that it will be worth the cost of powdercoat and clearcoat. I'm shooting for the original color and maybe I can find the original lettering that I used. This frame was made 6 years before I came up with the Rock Lobster name. The original decals said " Routier" which was the name of the street I lived on at the time. Maybe I should call it "Trescony"-the street where I live now.


I spent too much time on the lugs and not enough time on the geometry. Now that it is fixed to a degree I'll ride it a bit. I'm thinking that it might be fun to make use of this old rusty hulk .






5 comments:

Peter W. Polack said...

Tip: Try to use the Macro setting when shooting photos so close. As they are, the center of focus of your close ups are blurred.

And don't forget to post photos of the resurrected bike after paint-I look forward to them!

swiggco world said...

Sometimes at the end of the day the photos are done in a hurry. I'll try to do better when the frame is painted.

Unknown said...

I remember Old Number One! I also remember Routier Street and milking Dean Hovey for all the frame-building details we could get out of him. I remember buying handfuls of files at Orchard Supply for filing lugs and tubes.

Why, I remember it all as though it were only....
Thirty-two years ago?

Brent (the elder)

karlf said...

I saw you riding up to New Leaf on it yesterday. Looked like you were enjoying it.

swiggco world said...

Well.....after many years of practice I was able to shine up this old turd into a nice lump of coal !