Thursday, April 16, 2020

Steel gravel frame for So-Cal.

In spite of the current virus situation I'm still at the shop building frames. The front door is shut and I am not open to the public or taking in walk-in work such as repairs or modifications. That said, I have about 40-odd frames on the list. Some of these frames might get postponed as there are folks who are losing their jobs or are in situations where a new custom bike isn't a good move financially. This makes for some of the bikes getting done ahead of schedule and this frame is no exception.
 The tubing is a little smaller diameter than what I would use in a larger frame to hopefully give the ride a bit more compliance. The frame is also fitted for three bottle cages with one under the down tube where it can't be seen in these photos.
The customer opted for down tube der. cable routing so there are no guides on the top tube giving it a clean look. I have not weighed this one yet but it feels pretty light. It is a mixture of Columbus tubes with some light stuff in the rear triangle. My goal is to produce two frames a week and use whatever time is left for some older projects that have been hanging in the shop too long. The result of these old projects getting done will be a fleet of old bikes that will be for sale. The bulk of these bikes will be older European makes but there will be some old bikes that I built. I have to move my shop in a few months so don't be surprised when you see some interesting stuff come available.

No comments: