Saturday, April 11, 2020

This weeks work- two steel frames

 There's a shelter in place order here in Santa Cruz but part of my 'shelter in place' is my isolation in the shop. I am not open to the public now and I work alone. I go home for lunch, ride by myself and connect with the outside world with my phone. I feel very fortunate that I have work and have a situation- at least for now where I can continue with my frame building.
 This of course could change any day- there could be a worsening of the pandemic and I might have to shut down for a time. For now it is full speed ahead with fulfilling orders. These two frames were built this week. # 1 is a single speed 650 boost frame for a bay area rider . I'm really proud of this one. Since I have beed sequestered there are virtually no interruptions to the work flow and stuff is coming out nicely.
 This one has rocker dropouts. The right insert will not have a der. hanger- I was just using this insert for fixturing while welding.
 Frame # 2 is a gravel frame for Asheville, NC. This one is becoming my most popular steel frame. This one is the tenth that I have built in this style out of a total of 28 frames so far for the year- this total includes about a dozen aluminum frames so it looks like at least half of the steel frames I build in 2020 will be this model. The features are room for 700x45 tires, flat mount brake with internal down tube routing and tapered head tube. All of my disc brake frames are made for thru-axles as this is what is the industry standard. Thru axles are also a good safety feature as well.
 My goal of building two frames a week might not be met for some weeks of the year as I am likely to do another shop move in the summer. The economic conditions have hit some people hard and the person I share my shop with cannot afford the rent any more. He will move and now I will have to as well. When I do get situated I'll be hopefully getting a larger space and will make room for a vintage bike showroom and business. I'll be selling old bikes-not just the ones I have built. In the last several decades I have wound up with so many old bikes and parts that it has turned my shop into a bit of a museum. I think that it is getting to the time when I should pass a lot of these cool old bikes along and have a less cluttered shop. More on this in the coming months.

No comments: