Wednesday, June 20, 2018

Very small boost 29er frame in aluminum

 Yes- the rider is on the small side for a bike like this but the level of competition that this rider races at makes me believe that she won't have any trouble making this bike go fast.
 The frame is nearly all NOS Easton Elite tubes taken from the archives in my loft. I seldom use these tubes as they are a bit short for building modern 650 and 29" MTB frames. Since this frame is very small , the tubes were pretty much perfect. The frame is overbuilt to a degree so that the punishing rocks of Bidwell park near Chico, Calif. will not kill it.
 The chain stays and head tube are the only non-Easton tubes on the frame. As you can see, I even put a dropper post port on the seat tube- this is a first for an aluminum frame from me.
 This seat stay yoke is not something I bought. My supplier was out of stock and I didn't have enough cash or demand to order a full run so I made this one myself on the Bridgeport . It took a crazy amount of time and is a little crude but it will get the job done.
The old 1987 Miller Synchrowave did a good job of flowing out the welds in the front end. There's a lot of mass here and with only 50 amps at the wall it is not easy to get this much heat. The new shop will have at least 100 amps so I'll be happy when I get to see how that works. My machines will be happy as well.

No comments: