Monday, February 25, 2013

29er for Montana

 I'm on to aluminum for the next two weeks after building in steel since the first of the year. I think I might have done a small batch in January of aluminum frames but for the most part 2013 is shaping up to be the year of steel. That said, I'm always happy to change materials for awhile and this frame represents the first in the batch. If they all come out like this one I'll be very happy.
 This is a hardtail 29er with the Ahrens upper yoke and a tapered headtube for a hidden headset. I have only built a few like this so far but it makes a for a good small bike. The hidden headset allows for a longwr headtube without raising the handlebars too high. This frame should be a downhill screamer as it has a dual-slalom type front end. I'm liking this geometry more and more-the bikes just carve.
The frame is not made for big tires as this rider is like me, preferring the ease of acceleration with the smaller tires. The frame is 3 lb. 12 oz. and is made for a 5'6" rider.

No comments: