Friday, February 23, 2024

Steel path racer going to Montana

This is officially the first "Sadoff" re-issue frame , although it really isn't the first. There are two others but they will not see the light of day before this one. I used NOS Bocama lugs, a Cinelli crown, a Takahashi BB shell and some older cast front dropouts that might be Sampson. All the tubes are new Columbus SL-I didn't want to give this customer rusty crusty old tubes from the stash as this bike is not a wall hanger.
The fork is really stiff - a combination of the super solid crown and the addition of some fork tangs. I used bronze rod to build the fork except for the dropouts which were such a precision fit that I used 50% silver.
The brake bridge and diamonds were also from the Enoch's garage sale. I have a lot of this stuff, more than I could ever use in my remaining lifetime, however long or short that might be. I will try and use what I can and distribute what I don't use to other builder friends. 
The top head tube had to be modified to get the head tube spec the customer wanted. It took a bit of brain work to come up with a plan that would add the needed height with the most seamless look. The head tube lug extension is tig welded on-the only welding on the frame. I  didn't want to just braze it on-I wanted it as structurally strong as if it were one piece.



 I hope the customer likes what I built for him. I really had a good time building it.

No comments: