Wednesday, January 3, 2024

Restoring one from the early years

I think I built this frame in 1989 but I would have to look at my records. It is one of the first 30 road frames I had built then and it got quite a bit of use until injury forced the owner to hang it up. Now his son will be riding it so it was brought back to me as a frame and fork to be repainted and then reassembled with all now gear.
Here is the result of all the work-I just rode it a bit today. The Columbus SL frame with cast Cinelli lugs still feels solid and the new components will probably take quite a bit of weight off of the original figure.
With White Industry cranks, BB and hubs , this is a pretty nice build. The drive train is whatever Shimano stuff I could get at the time- mostly Ultegra with a bit of 105. Only the seatpost is original. The headset is a polished 1" threaded Chris King that I was very lucky to be able to order. The owner provided things like bars, stem, saddle,pedals and seatpost - the Dura Ace post being the only original component on the bike.
I had to find the rims on Ebay as they are out of production. They built up nice and straight, the way I remember Mavic rims always did back in the day.
 

No comments: