Saturday, May 9, 2020

Two steel gravel frames with custom head badges

 This couple wanted forks panted to match - that is a fairly common request but they went a little further than most.These frames are adorned with custom ordered Jen Green badges. These badges are not the ones normally seen on my bikes but one-off customer designed and unique.
The two badges are not the same and actually arrived at the shop about a month apart. I only got the one on the left the day before these frames were to be picked up ! This husband-and-wife pair of frames are being built up at the Bicycle Outfitter  in Los Altos, Calif. This venerable shop was well established before I built my first frame in 1978 so these frames are in experienced hands. I hope the mechanic isn't too upset at how tight I put the right side down tube gear cable adjuster-I wanted it to be welded onto the gusset, rather than the down tube itself to reduce stress on a very high-stress part of the frame.
 You can see the adjuster in this photo. The frames are made for flat mount brakes and both have internal down-tube rear brake line routing.The blue frame is larger and has the newer logo. The wife's frame was too small for the newer logo so it has the classic logo-both are in gold.I put on gold seat collars to compliment the decals. I ran out of gold signature logos so I just hand-signed the frames with a gold paint pen the way I did when I was too broke to have decals decades ago.

No comments: