Tuesday, January 21, 2020

First Alfie town bike of the year

 This is the latest edition of the style I started offering in 2007. I modeled the frame after a 1947 Schwinn to a certain degree. I didn't want to do a real copy of the Schwinn but I wanted the frame to have the same 'feel' to the look.
 Obviously, a bike from 1947 would not have a fork like this, disc brakes or a few of the other features but the curved top tube and straight middle tube are from that old post-war design.
 The rear disc mount is one I designed a couple of decades ago and seldom use these days-  it does work on this bike, though.
 A town bike is really not a town bike unless it has a kickstand and a kickstand is a real pain unless there's a solid plate to mount it to. I didn't forget to put one on this bike and the owner will maybe thank me.
Here's a detail of the disc mount showing the range of adjustment afforded to the caliper. This is needed as the dropouts have about an inch of range for the position of the axle. Yes, this bike will have Honjo fenders and a Brooks saddle along with a Nitto handlebar.

No comments: