Tuesday, April 24, 2012

Bike for the next door neighbor

 The future owner of this frame wanted me to make it light so I chose True Temper S-3 top and downtubes and some really light platinum seat stays along with the Columbus chainstays formerly known as 'Foco'.
 All of this steel wound up weighing 3 lb. 10 oz. , really light for a steel frame of this size. This rider has a habit of breaking things-hubs rims, frames.....my hope is that he gets a lot of years out of this frame. I put the der. cable adjusters on the side of the head tube as I didn't want to heat the side of that paper thin down tube. True Temper S-3 is pretty dicey to weld and requires a very steady hand. I pulled it off in this case, but only just. My eyes and my hands are not what they used to be, even if my experience level is pretty deep.
The frame will get a Keith Anderson paint job so I know it will look great. I'm currently riding a bike with a similar tubeset and despite the thin walls of the tubes the ride is stable and solid.

No comments: