Thursday, June 12, 2008

Sorry but I had to do it.....

Yes, it's 9 years old and everybody has seen it too many times but today I really enjoyed the old single speed just like it was a new bike, only more because I didn't have to worry about scratching it or having to make any new-bike adjustments. All I did was lube the chain, fill the bottle and ride. Yes, that is dust on the bike....I really don't ride it enough-some times it's on a hook for a year or more but this year I am going to return to the fundamentals and spend the summer re-discovering what one gear can give in terms of enjoyment,challenge and simplicity. Now that it has been 21 years since I build my first single speed I figure that the bike is viable, even if it hibernates a lot. I have thoughts occasionally about building a new super modern S/S with disc brakes, Scandium tubing and all sorts of fancy bits but every time I ride this old bike I forget about the whole notion.....if it ain't broken.....

No comments: