Tuesday, November 9, 2021

Steel Boost 29er frame for So-Cal.

Sorry for the busy background in the photo- the part of the shop where I normally take photos was too dark........daylight savings. This frame is made to take 2.4" tires but a 650x2.5 will fit- not sure how it will ride with the wrong size wheel but people are doing that so I guess it kind of works. 
This one has a lot of US steel from Velospec. The tubes were made from surplus True Temper steel when they shut down. The tubing is drawn in Taiwan and then shipped back here- Steel with a larger carbon footprint. Still, it's the best stuff right now, especially since it seems that Vari-Wall in Ohio has shut down their bike tubing line, or at least it appears that way. 
In 2021 getting supplies to build frames for the small builder is becoming complicated. I use maybe 5-6 different suppliers now and getting things like 1-1/8" steerer tubes to make forks is an adventure. I feel like I should stock up in a big way but I'm not sure how busy I'll be in 6 months. Right now I have 72 frames on order, 81 completed so far this year. Not sure how many forks I have built but I'll bet it is probably the most in a decade or more. I have no idea how long this business bubble will go and I'm leery of putting thousands of dollars into materials. Now that I have not been able to buy buildup parts it seems silly to plan for building frames that will only sit as unbuilt bikes for at least 6 months for most people. Strange times for sure......
 

No comments: