Thursday, March 4, 2021

Steel 29er frame for South County local

Only a few years ago MTB frames were somthing that I hardly ever got orders for. Back in the '80's and '90's , they were the majority of my work load. The trend toard full suspension and carbon fiber pretty much wiped out the market for custom rigid MTB frames,at least in my case. 


That was then and this is now- slack angles, boost spacing and steel-that is what seems to be what people want from me now. Last year I think I built maybe 6-7 of this style frame in 29er and 27.5 but this year looks to double that. It could be that the MTB frame will again be a major part of my annual work tally.
Features from the '80's and 90's are still there to a degree- down tube gussett and wishbone seatstays are things I have been doing since 1987- they worked then and they still work now, although with the larger profile tires getting room for the larger treads takes some extra work. Because of this I'll be raising the price on frames like this-it makes sense as they take quite a bit more work to produce. This one also has the internal seat tube dropper post routing. I'm doing what I can to stay current with the features that are in demand in 2021. 
 

No comments: