Monday, March 25, 2024

New model ? Road racing frame in 7005 with dropped seat stays

The guy who I share my shop with- the one who owns all these nice slabs of locally salvaged wood- requested dropped seat stays. This style is current on a lot of pro-tour bikes. 
Since none of my bikes are in the pro-tour , I'll call this one a 'Bro-tour' team issue replica.......who knows...maybe I'll have to build more of them. Structurally, I'm not 100% confident in the area of the seat tube / seat stay junction holding up as well as a normal design but this customer was willing to roll the dice and be a test pilot. I guess time will tell if it is going to last as long as the more conventional frame design. Fortunately, the aluminum seat tube is pretty stout. I don't think I would do this design in steel as the wall thickness on a steel seat tube is barely .6 mm....... not much there to take the stress.

 It does have a fairly modern sporty look, though....

No comments: