Friday, March 16, 2018

Aluminum MTB tandem

 Didn't know that I made tandems ? Well, that is understandable as I have only made 9 so far. The last one I built was about 14 years ago-I don't have any of my old tandem jig stuff so I had to make some tooling for the newer jig. The process of figuring all this stuff out was really interesting-it was a challenge and proved very frustrating at times but I think the end result will be really good.
 The fame isn't quite done as all the guides and the brake mount and braces are yet to be welded on. I figured that this frame is pretty much a prototype so a photo of the not-yet-finished product was proper. This is the first aluminum tandem of my career and I'm sure that there will be more. This one is for a 160 mm shock fork and is a 29er.
My next one will be a gravel tandem and I will make a steel fork with a tapered steerer for it. I have not seen one yet so it might be up to me to be on the cutting edge of this kind of bike-even if I never sell one. I just think it would be a fun thing to ride so I might as well build one-especially after working out all the bugs on this one.

No comments: