Thursday, May 28, 2009

Tig Team Euro 'cross fameset in the raw

Here's a 'cross frame that will be good for the woods. The fork looks like a normal cyclocross fork but the blades are a tiny bit bigger profile and the wall thickness of the steel is about 20 % thicker than a stock blade. Nothing like having the steel where you need it the most , especially if you are riding in the back country on some rough trails. Here it is, 14 years later and I'm still doing the wavy gussetts.......kind of a nautical theme....lobsters ? Ocean ? Waves? -Makes sense to me. An engineer would tell you that the wavy line actually helps distribute the stresses over a longer distance. An engineer might tell you that I'm full of it....he would most likely be correct on both accounts. All I know is that these bikes never come back bent , not without a really good reason like hitting a tree at 25 m.p.h. ! I finally sprung for some 1/2" cro-mo tubing for making curved bridges again...I gpt really tired of looking through my scrap tubing box for the right stuff.









2 comments:

chris and hollie mcgovern said...

that there is a beaut. Steel is for real

swiggco world said...

spoken like a true scotsman.